2022 MODELS FROM YAMAHA
Just in time for East Coast hunting and the West Coast riding seasons, Yamaha has announced its 2022 UTV line up. The big news from the BluCru is a souped up RMAX 1000 Sport to race out in front of this first pack of returning models. What we don’t know about yet is where the 2022 YXZ’s are. They should be announced later this year or early in 2022.
While not a totally new model, the RMAX Sport does now have fully adjustable Fox suspension. So instead of having the three levels of adjustments like before, you can fine tune hi-speed and low speed compression with a 24 position clicker controlling the same impressive 14.2 (F) and 16.9 (R) inches of wheel travel. Now shoed with 30-inch GBC Terra Master tires, the RMAX2 1000 Sport retains its 13.8 inches of ground clearance.
According to Yamaha, the Terra Masters offer contrasting ride and handling characteristics, depending on the setup. “Side A,” the stock setup, offers a larger void ratio with horizontal lugs for soft to intermediate terrain, increasing forward acceleration and enhanced braking. “Side B” offers a smaller void ratio with circumferential grooves for improved grip in the corners and a greater contact patch on intermediate to hard off-road surfaces. Those 30-inch tall meats are mounted on color matched 14-inch beadlock wheels.
More improvements to the RMAX line is the XT-R vehicles now have the factory-installed SSV audio system, with second-row speakers added to the RMAX4 1000 LE versions (R-Spec and Sport models are pre-wired for the Yamaha Genuine Accessory audio kit), and the RMAX4 1000 R-Spec now comes with a suntop.
What we’ve always liked about the RMAX line will return for 2022 such as a 999cc twin-cylinder engine housed in a great chassis available in two- and four-seat configurations. Furthermore, Yamaha explains power and engine braking in the RMAX 1000 can be tailored for a variety of off-road situations with Yamaha’s D-Mode in LE, XT-R, and Sport models (pre-wired and available as a Yamaha Genuine Accessory in RMAX 1000 R-Spec versions) via the Yamaha Chip-Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system. Yamaha’s D-Mode offers three power delivery settings to match the driver’s mindset and trail conditions: “Crawl” for smooth throttle control and full engine braking in slow-speed, technical driving situations, “Trail” with linear throttle response for a fun, relaxed ride with full engine braking, and “Sport” with a quick throttle response and optimized engine braking for an overall aggressive, fast-paced experience. All three D-Mode settings utilize the RMAX1000’s full engine power and 8,500 rpm redline.
Additional 2022 Wolverine RMAX 1000 Features:
- Ultra-reliable Ultramatic CVT transmission backed by an industry-exclusive Yamaha 10-Year Belt Warranty.
- Yamaha’s rugged On-Command system with 2WD, 4WD limited slip, and 4WD full-differential lock.
- Yamaha-exclusive Speed Management System (pre-wired on all RMAX 1000, standard in RMAX2 1000 LE and all RMAX4 1000 models), seamlessly limits the vehicle’s top speed to 25 mph by simply turning a removable key, making it ideal for work sites and other specialized operating conditions.
- Yamaha Adventure Pro dash-mounted and fully-integrated on XT-R and LE models, yet lockable and removable for maximum exploration and adventure sharing (pre-wired on R-Spec and Sport models).
- Heavy-duty WARN VRX 4,500-pound winch factory-installed on XT-R and LE versions (prewiring and mounting points on R-Spec and Sport models).
- 3-way adjustable FOX QS3 (R-Spec and XT-R models) or iQS (LE models) shocks mounted to wide-arc A-arms for high-quality damping and maximum clearance.
- Yamaha’s exclusive torque- and speed-sensitive Electric Power Steering (EPS), providing light-effort steering, balanced feedback, and precise steering-character to further reduce vibration and driver fatigue.
- Comfort-focused automotive interior with industry-exclusive soft-touch points.
- Bright LED headlights, marker lights, taillights with class-exclusive reverse lights, and interior lighting, including backlit switches.
- 2,000-pound towing capacity via a standard 2-inch hitch receiver.
- 600-pound-rated bed capacity with easy-to-operate automotive-style tailgate.
- Hydraulic piston-assist dump bed for optimal utility use on two-seat models.
- Simple-to-stow full-size rear seats on RMAX4 1000 vehicles allows versatility for expanded cargo or passenger capacity.
- 30-inch square tire setup on two-seat models and 29-inch staggered tire setup on 4-seat models, all set on 14-inch wheels, minimizing pinch-flats and maximizing off-road capability and durability.
The 2022 Wolverine RMAX2 1000 R-Spec is available at Yamaha dealers nationwide starting at $20,699 MSRP in a new Armor Grey / Yellow, with the RMAX4 1000 R-Spec starting at $22,699 MSRP. The Wolverine RMAX2 1000 Sport is available in a new Team Yamaha Blue at $22,599 MSRP. XT-R Editions are available in a new Tactical Black / Carbon Metallic with Maxxis Carnivore tires, a heavy duty WARN winch, FOX QS3 shocks, and a stylish paint and graphics package starting at $23,899 MSRP. LE models are available in a new Matte Silver with all XT-R upgrades, plus FOX iQS shocks and the factory-installed stereo system starting at $24,399 MSRP.
Read the our trail test of the Yamaha RMAX 1000 XT-R HERE.
According to Yamaha, the 2022 Wolverine X2 and Wolverine X4 deliver superior handling, especially on tight, technical trails, combined with Yamaha’s legendary Real World Tough durability and reliability. Smooth, ultra-quiet power comes from an 847cc twin-cylinder engine, along with Yamaha’s Real World Tech including the proven Ultramatic CVT transmission backed by Yamaha’s unprecedented 10-Year Belt Warranty, Yamaha’s On-Command System with 2WD, 4WD and 4WD with full differential lock, and Yamaha’s exclusive EPS.
Additional 2022 Wolverine X2 and X4 Features:
- 27-inch GBC Dirt Commander radial tires with eight-ply rated construction for increased ground clearance, traction, and durability.
- Independent double wishbone suspension with anti-sway bar offering 8.7-inches of travel in the front, and 9.3-inches of travel in the rear. Wolverine X4 models are also equipped with self-adjusting rear shock absorbers.
- 2,000-pound towing capacity via the standard 2-inch hitch receiver.
- 600-pound-rated bed capacity with an easy-to-operate automotive-style tailgate.
- Yamaha Speed Management System on select trim levels (pre-wired for all Wolverine models).
- Pre-wiring for Yamaha Adventure Pro, WARN winch (on non-equipped models), and additional accessories.
- Hydraulic piston-assist dump bed for optimal utility on two-seat models.
- Simple-to-stow full-size rear seats, allowing for expanded cargo or passenger capacity on 4-seat models.
Yamaha tells us, all Wolverine X2 and X4 models receive a suntop and XT-R Editions are now equipped with a center rearview mirror. Further XT-R trimmings include a WARN VRX 4500 winch, high-quality graphics, painted Tactical Black / Carbon Metallic bodywork, and fully-adjustable KYB piggyback shocks with spring preload, rebound, and high- and low-speed compression damping – now even upfitted to Wolverine X4 R-Spec vehicles. The Wolverine X4 XT-R retains the advanced self-leveling rear shocks to provide a plush ride, as well as help maintain optimized ground clearance based on the terrain and cargo.
The 2022 Wolverine X2 and X4 R-Spec models are available in Armor Grey / Yellow and Realtree Edge starting at $14,899 MSRP, and XT-R Editions in Tactical Black / Carbon Metallic starting at $16,499 MSRP.
The workhorses of 2022 line up are Yamaha’s Viking and Viking VI equipped with Yamaha’s reliable and powerful 700-class engine. Combined with a comfortable and confidence-inspiring ride in its class-leading cab with room for three to six people, Vikings have very large dumping cargo beds and are also fun to drive.
2022 Viking and Viking VI Features:
- Ultra-reliable Ultramatic CVT transmission backed by an industry-exclusive 10-Year Belt Warranty.
- Yamaha On-Command System with 2WD, 4WD limited slip, and 4WD full-differential lock.
- Yamaha’s speed- and torque-sensitive EPS.
- 1,500-pound towing capacity via the standard 2-inch hitch receiver.
- 600-pound-rated bed capacity with an easy-to-operate automotive-style tailgate.
- Hydraulic piston-assist dump bed with a rugged rubber cargo bed mat for added convenience and durability.
The Viking and Viking VI will be available in Tactical Green with a suntop starting at $13,899 MSRP or Realtree Edge starting at $14,299 MSRP. 2022 Viking and Viking VI Ranch Edition models now feature the RMAX 1000-style center rearview mirror and are available in a Copper Metallic painted bodywork with color-matched interior, under-seat storage, cast aluminum wheels, comfort-grip steering wheel, overfenders, center rearview mirror, rear grab bar, and distinct Ranch Edition badging starting at $14,599 MSRP.