CAN-AM WINS MOROCCO RALLY & FIA T3 TITLE
ON THE PODIUM: RALLY OF MOROCCO UTVS
The Monster Energy Can-Am Team celebrated a triple success at the Rally of Morocco, the final round of the 2019 FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, which finished in Fes after four days of racing. Outright victory in the T3 category fell to the Brazilian crew of Reinaldo Varela and Gustavo Gugelmin, and that result ensured that Varela clinched the FIA T3 Championship title in his Can-Am Maverick X3. Casey Currie ran a Monster Energy Can-Am in the SSV Maroc Telecom Open category and also came out on top at the finish in Fes to seal the victory.
Gerard Farres was running in front through the opening stage, but a rock punched through his radiator on day three. Currie set the fastest time on the first of the desert loop stages of 386.49km around Erfoud to snatch the SSV Open category lead.
The third stage was split into three sections for the FIA cars, while the SSV Open category tackled an opening stage of 148km and another of 121km. Varela was in superb form in his T3 Can-Am and posted the fastest time, while Farres completed the special in fourth to head the category outright from his team-mate by a little under 11 minutes.
Day four was the last of the loop stages over terrain around Erfoud and consisted of 408km of competition with a mix of stony tracks, sandy wadis, dunes, fast trails and camel grass. Currie snatched the advantage in the SSV Maroc Telecom Open category in the third of the Monster Energy Can-Ams. He survived a big scare – where Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel rolled his Buggy – and stormed into a lead of 1hr 21sec over rival Antonio Hinojo Lopez.
2019 Rally of Morocco – T3 final results:
1. Reinaldo Varela (BRA)/Gustavo Gugelmin (BRA) Monster Energy Can-Am…20hrs 39min 35sec
2. Sergei Kariakin (RUS)/Anton Vlasiuk (RUS) Snag Proto…20hrs 41min 07sec
3. Aleksandr Dorosinskiy (RUS)/Oleg Uperenko (RUS) Can-Am…20hrs 49min 00sec
4. Austin Jones (USA)/Kellon Walch (USA) South Racing Can-Am…21hrs 36min 53sec
5. Aleksei Shmotev (RUS)/Andrei Rudnitski (RUS) Snag Proto…25hrs 24min 36sec
6. Jose Luis Pena Campo (ESP)/Rafael Tornabell (ESP) Polaris…27hrs 21min 53sec
7. Fedor Vorobyev (RUS)/Kirill Shubin (RUS) South Racing Can-Am…28hrs 30min 15sec
8. Hernan Garces(CHL)/Juan P. Latrach (CHL)SouthRacing Can-Am…30hrs 16min 36sec
9. Abdullah Al-Zubair(OMN)/Faisal Al-Raisi(OMN) SouthRacing Can-Am…42hrs 50min 15sec
10. Camelia Liparoti (ITA)/Max Delfino (FRA) Yamaha…49hrs 51min 55sec
FIA UTV Rally World Cup – T3 standings after round 4
1. Reinaldo Varela/C-A (BRA)…93pts
2. Fedor Vorobyev (RUS)…51pts
3. Jose-Luis Pena Campo/Pol (ESP)…32pts
4. Camelia Liparoti/Yam (ITA)…28pts
5. Casey Currie/C-A(USA)…25pts
MIDEAST UTV HARE SCRAMBLES AT SHELBY NC
Collin Truett scored his seventh win of the season at the Mideast Hare Scrambles Water Wheel Classic at Shelby, North Carolina. Truett and his Polaris led the UTV Pros from start to finish and turned the fastest lap time of the day on his way to victory. Jason Stewart was second in a Can-Am, almost a minute and a half behind Truett, and Mitch Truett was third in another Polaris.
This being the last UTV round of the Mideast Racing schedule, Collin wins the UTV Hare Scrambles championship over brother Mitch (176-166), with first-round winner Stewart third overall with 164 points. Michael Prestwood (Pol) clinched the 901cc-Turbo class championship by one point with the class win in North Carolina over Bryon Russell (C-A). Kyle Marcengill (Kaw) won the 0-900cc UTVs with a second at Shelby; he scored four wins and three seconds in 2019.
MIDEAST HARE SCRAMBLES UTV RESULTS
UTV Rd10: Shelby, NC
1. Collin Truett/Pol…00:49:43.913/8
2. Jason Stewart/C-A…00:51:09.759/8
3. Mitch Truett/Pol…00:52:21.520/8
4. Trevor Payne/Yam…00:33:00.971/5
5. Chris Bragg/Pol…00:26:13.935/4