EVERYTHING you NEED to know about the CAN-AM MAVERICK X3: A-Z, PART 4 (N-R)
UTV Action Magazine spent the Halloween weekend at Glamis, and the Imperial Sand Dunes were strafed by several Can-Am Maverick X3 Turbos. As we drove on Highway 78 to the Glamis Store and Vendor Row, an X3 X ds was ripping Sand Highway at 60+ mph, and Can-Am held demo rides over the weekend. As the aftermarket gets up to speed on the new X3 line, we’re seeing a wave of new products to arm, personalize and improve all three X3s.
NEW FROM THE GROUND UP
* Needles are easy to read on the analog speedometer and tachometer, even at mach speeds.
* Neutral and Reverse are a lot easier to find with the new gated shift-lever than on Maverick 1000s.
* Not much of the original Maverick made it to the X3 line, but the passenger grab-bar on the new console is the same part as the Maverick 1000.
* Not only does the new X3 have an all-new CVT cover with four ducts, new fins on the CVT clutch helps push hot air out of the two exhaust ducts.
OUTPUT AND OVERALL RATINGS
* Off-camber tracking rates a 5 out of 5 with the low center-of-gravity of the X3 line, despite having 20-plus inches of travel, thanks to dual torsion bars and F1-style seating.
* Off-road performance is next-level with the new X3 geometry and seating position.
* Offset is 6+1 on the 14-inch aluminum wheels to deliver 20+ inches of travel yet retain the 64-inch width restriction.
* Output is a whopping 154 Hp (113kW) @ 7250 rpm and 152 Nm of torque @ 6000 with the ACE 900 Turbo R. Other configurations of the triple-cylinder engine only produce 88 Hp (Lynx snowmobiles) and 90 Hp (ACE 900 HO Marine).
* Overall dimensions are 131x64x66 inches on the X3 and X ds Turbo R and 132x72x67 inches on the X rs Turbo R.
* Overall UTV Action Ratings are 5 for design, ease-of-use, fit-and-finish and power.
PRECISE AND POWERFUL
* Park mode is recommended whenever exiting the X3.
* Petrol capacity is 10.5 gallons, and the plastic fuel tank rides under the glove box and over the passenger’s legs. That way, sticks can’t Poke a hole in the cell, as most UTVs place the cell under the passenger seat.
* Can-Am’s Press release touts the X3 highlights as “Defiant,” “Powerful” and “Precise.”
* Power delivery from 0-20 mph rivals modified 2016 RZR XP Turbos with 188 Hp, but the 2017 RZR XP Turbo with 168 Hp feels as formidable.
* Precise handling comes standard on all X3s with excellent weight distribution, cornering and straightline stability.
* Pressures are intense with the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 X3 6-Ply tires. X3 28s want 22 psi front and 23 psi rear, X ds 29s want 19 psi front and 20 psi rear, and X rs 30s get 17 psi front and 18 psi rear. Yamaha YXZ1000R 27s have 16.5 psi front and 18.5 psi rear.
QUICK-SWITCH and QUICK-RESPONSE
* Base X3s come with Fox Podium 2.5 QS3 shocks, which simplify shock tuning and keep cost lower than X ds and rs versions.
* All X3s come with an upgraded Quick Response System X (QRS-X) CVT with Advanced Airflow Dynamics.
* Quick CVT belt changes are much more possible with the rear-engine design, as you don’t have to disassemble the console like Maverick 1000s. Undo 11 Torqx screws and one hose clamp to remove the CVT cover.
RADICAL RADIUS RODS
*Three radius rods stabilize the trailing-arms during 20 to 24 inches of rear-wheel travel. They attach to a center link-plate mount and hub carrier, and there is a slight arch in the lower rods for wheel clearance.
* Radius rods are not adjustable for camber, castor or toe.
* High clearance Radius Rods are on the way from High Lifter.
* Rear fascias on X3s have a license-plate bracket mount.
* Rock Sliders by LSR are made of 1.5-inch steel tubing and 1/8-inch aluminum plate and are powder-coated black or red for $349.99.
* LSR also has a racing rear bumper for $349.99 in black or red, plus there are Dune ($299.99) and Pre-Runner ($349.99) rear bumpers.