Columbus, Ohio – Whether on a motocross or dual-sport machine, off-road enthusiasts are ready for a dirt-filled challenge when they head out for a ride. Nationwide Insurance reminds these riders to make sure their insurance policy is geared up before tackling tough terrain.
“Motorcyclists with off-road bikes have different insurance considerations than those who own a machine solely dedicated to street riding,” says Mitch Roggemann, national sales director for Nationwide’s Property & Casualty Specialty Products. “Choosing the proper insurance policy won’t only save off-road enthusiasts from hassle when the unexpected occurs, it can save them a few dollars.”
Off-road riders should consider the following tips from Nationwide when choosing or reviewing insurance coverage:
• Cover your bike with a dedicated policy. Many riders mistakenly believe a homeowners policy will cover the theft of an off-road bike from their property. Sometimes, this is not the case. A motorcycle-specific policy ensures you are protected in most instances of theft or other damages.
• Review your policy regularly. Dirt bikes tend to depreciate more quickly than other motorcycles. Speak with your agent to make sure you are not overinsured or underinsured.
• Know your terrain. Many off-road policies do not cover towing and labor or roadside assistance. Understand what your policy does and does not cover and be sure you can recover your bike if it happens to become stuck during a ride.
• Protect your trailer. If you transport your bike on a trailer, make sure you have adequate insurance on the trailer. Some companies, including Nationwide, allow you to insure both a bike and a trailer on one policy.
• Find the discounts. Many companies offer discounts to enthusiasts who complete safety courses or belong to a riders association. You may also qualify for a discount if you insure your home or vehicle with the same company as your bike.
Nationwide offers motorcycle and powersports insurance policies that cover theft, collision, vandalism and damage caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers. To learn more about motorcycle insurance or powersports insurance or to find an agent, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $160 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks #104 on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and health and productivity services.
For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.