How cool would it be to be able to legally drive your UTV or ride your ATV on the street to connect Forest Service/BLM/state roads and other trails? Well, it’s legal to do so in almost half of the United States, and there are a few companies that make street-legal kits for UTVs and ATVs. Today’s UTVs already have most of the required equipment such as mufflers, seat belts, headlights, taillights and brake lights. OHV-friendly states like West Virginia let OHVs travel city streets on the Hatfield-McCoy trail system, and Utah recently passed a law saying UTVs were legal on every street except Interstates (I-15 and I-70) or in Salt Lake City. In fact, most states allow counties and towns to set their own standards, and Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Texas, Minnesota, Wyoming, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, North and South Dakota, Washington, Michigan, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ohio, Vermont, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Colorado (HB15-1054) have laws allowing the street-legalization of OHVs.

Bulldog ATV, Starting Line Products and Dux Signal have universal UTV street legal kits that will make your UTV legal in most of the 23 states that license UTVs for street use for ($169-$239), and more states are coming on board to reap UTV-tourism dollars.

Besides OEM equipment, Arizona requires a horn that can be heard 250 feet away and rear-view mirror(s), which the DragonFire Racing universal street-legal kit ($99.99) supplies, plus a license-plate bracket with light. Many states (NV, WA, etc.) require that UTVs only be operated on county (general and minor) roads with speed limits of 45 mph and lower. Tennessee requires UTVs only go 35 mph, which makes the Can-Am speed key golden, and you need DOT-approved tires like the GBC Kanati Mongrel and an orange tractor triangle on the rear end. Other states (UT, TX, WY, etc.) require amber front and red rear turn signals and lit license-plate brackets, and Starting Line Products has a kit with turn signals, horn, plate bracket with light, wiring harness with fuses and mounting hardware for $239.95. Also, Dux Signal Kits makes RZR/Ranger and Can-Am specific kits with all that’s needed in most states for $169-$250, and Bulldog ( has a universal kit with LED turn signals, flasher, 130dB horn, plate bracket with light, fusses wiring and mounts for $199.95.

Michigan is the most hard-core and expensive, as it requires a full glass windshield, windshield wiper and washer, and the Can-Am Commander Limited only requires addition of the washer pump and reservoir plus the turn signals. Some states allow unlicensed UTV and ATV use on roads when snow makes roads impassable, and New Hampshire requires red four-way flashers on snow plows.

You might also like

Comments are closed.